Hauptmenü

More difficult

Begonnen von frfmfrfm, Dezember 30, 2012, 21:04:59 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

frfmfrfm

Dear comrades, these pictures are made ​​in a sample of water from the Guadalquivir River after being on the boat several months.
I hope your help.
Greetings and Happy New Year, Francisco.

Bernhard Lebeda

Hi Francisco

could that be sulphur bacteria? Something like Chlorochromatium?

Best wishes for 2013!!

Bernhard
Ich bevorzuge das "DU"

Vorstellung

frfmfrfm

Thank you very much Bernhard, continue studying the issue.
Greetings and Happy New Year, Francisco.

Eckhard

Zeiss Axioscope.A1 (HF, DF, DIK, Ph, Pol, Epifluoreszenz)
Nikon SE2000U (HF, DIK, Ph)
Olympus SZX 12 (HF, DF, Pol)
Zeiss Sigma (ETSE, InLens SE)

www.wunderkanone.de
www.penard.de
www.flickr.com/wunderkanone

Michael Plewka

hallo zusammen,
hi Francisco,

some time ago I found similar objects like yours:
http://www.plingfactory.de/Science/Atlas/Kennkarten%20Procaryota/source/Beggiatoa%20alba.html.

I have determined these bacteria as Beggiatoa alba.  The grains would be elementary sulfur produced by the bacteria.  In your images
I detect the same phenomenon as in mine:  the grains seem to be partly outside of the cells. Neither do  I have an explanation for this nor have I found any Beggiatoa images in the www. showing the same phenomenon.
best regards Michael Plewka

frfmfrfm

Thank you very much for the help and co buestra opinion.
Greetings from Seville, Spain.

Rene

Hi guys,

Can't help you for sure, only that the Beggiatoa's we know look thicker, and with the sulfur particles completely within the cells:

(20x/0.70)

(60x/1.4)

Samples from Gooimeer, Netherlands, preserved with lugols iodine. Filaments are pretty consistent in thickness, around 13 um.

Best wishes, René

Michael Plewka

hi Rene,

thanks for your response..,. I´m not that much into procaryota, but now that I look at the images again I realize that the cells of the "trichomes"  are of different diameter, especially in Francisco´s images, but in mine as well. Is that typical for bacteria?  In the images of Francisco and mine there are no cell walls visible, suggesting that the cells are very long,  whereas in your images there are cell walls at least perceptible by the package of the sulphur grains suggesting that the cells are about 1,5 times long as wide.
Might it be some sort of fungus?

Some comments on the location/ habitat:

My "Beggiatoa" comes from the water of an old coal mine in which I also found Gallionella bacteria
http://www.plingfactory.de/Science/Atlas/Kennkarten%20Procaryota/source/Gallionella%20ferruginea.html

I could not detect any  H2S-like environment (smell). Maybe it is some sort of precipitation going on with the iron ions (we had this topic once in this forum but I found no hints concerning this topic up to now.

@ Francisco: can you tell us something about the environment of your sample?

best regards Michael Plewka

Bernhard Lebeda

Zitat von: Michael Plewka in Januar 04, 2013, 10:10:16 VORMITTAG

Might it be some sort of fungus?

...well then, taking into account the sample is from a river, it could be the fungus Leptomitus lacteus.

Greetings

Bernhard
Ich bevorzuge das "DU"

Vorstellung

frfmfrfm

Well the title was More Difficult, water was taken in the river Guadalquivir but these bacteria or fungi proliferated apartir 2 months after being collected.

He looked on the internet What Prodria be Filament Thiothrix?

Regards and thanks, Francisco

Rene

Thiothrix indeed looks more like it. Wiki mentions gonidia on  the free ends, can you find them?

Best wishes, René

frfmfrfm

I have no pictures com gonidios

Regards and thanks, Francisco