Hauptmenü

Mittwochrätsel

Begonnen von Rene, März 20, 2013, 21:13:10 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Rene

Time now for the Wodenstag Rätsel ;-)

I admit it is not really a happy cell...

Focussing at the surface gives more clues for identification:

So who's in for a guess?? As always, replies in any language are wellcome.

Best wishes,

René

Heiko

Hallo René,

ohne Deine Erkäuterungen hätte ich allerdings ein Pollenkorn "gesehen".

Grüße, Heiko

TPL

Hoi René,
muss wohl irgendein Dinoflagellat sein...
m.v.g. Thomas

Rene

Very good Thomas!

It is stained with a fluorescent brightener, one that makes your wash whiter then white (or so the slogan goes)  8)
This way the Panzer stands out, otherwise I probably wouldn't have spotted it in the sample:

Sample from das Wattenmeer, stack of 11 images with 20x/0.7. Width of the cell is 20 um
Identification to species is tricky, but the shape of the pore on top is a give-away for Scrippsiella.

Here's one, top view from another sample:

With this pore it can attach itself to a substrate, as the start of encystment (although I'm not sure all Scrippsiellas are able to do that).

Best wishes, René

Klaus Herrmann

Hallo René,

die ersten Bilder sahen etwas aus wie smashed potatoes  ;D daraus Dinoflagellat abzulesen grenzt schon an Hellseherei -aber vielleicht ist es auch gutes Erinnerungsvermögen? Ich meine du hast die Bilder schon mal gezeigt?

Aber die Fluoreszenzaufnahmen sind phantastisch.  :)

Kannst du noch verraten:
Zitatfluorescent brightener
was ist das für einer und wie hast du angeregt (HBO oder LED?) und mit welchem Filterblock?
Mit herzlichen Mikrogrüßen

Klaus

ich ziehe das freundschaftliche "Du" vor! ∞ λ ¼

Vorstellung: hier klicken

Rene

Hallo Klaus,

Mashed potatoes :D, old with a tough skin! Good comparison!

Anyway, the theca can just about be seen in brightfield, and with the apical pore and the girdle visible it is obviously a dinoflagellate. But I wouldn't have spotted it while scanning through the sample, if it wasn't for the fluorescence.
The stain is acually called Calcofluor White, commonly used as an additive in the paper industry and in laundry detergents. It binds specifically to cellulose and does also work with violet/blue excitation, for example with a fluorescein filter cube (ie with green emission). But I like the UV (DAPI) filter cube, as it gives 'true color' and I can mix in transmitted light while scanning my samples. I have Nichia UV-LEDs installed on our microscopes.

Best wishes, René