Beginner: botanic slides: succesful in getting thin slices: whats next

Begonnen von deBult, Oktober 13, 2019, 14:51:44 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

deBult

Hi guys (apologies for writing in English, READING German language is OK but writing is over my head).

I'm starting my journey in getting Botanical slides done.

After some practice day's I finally succeeded in getting nice (reasonable) thin plant stem slices using the SHK holder and Bob's "schneidehilfe".

For fixing I used AFE [24 hrs) and  cleaned with ethanol 70% (twice), slices are now in 70 % ethanol.

Next step is watering them step down in ethanol 70% => 50% => 30% => aqua dest
Do I need to clear the slides slices (i have 20 year old "Citroclear from NBS - no manual" or klorix) before colouring with Wacker  W 3 A Sim II ?

Target is a slide based on Euparal Eindeckharz  (Isopropanol) 

Guidance appreciated,

Thank you
deBult (Maarten)
Reading the German language is OK for me, writing is a different matter though: my apologies.

A few Olympus BH2 and CH2 stands with DIC and phase optics.
The correct number of scopes to own is N+1 (Where N is the number currently owned).

Klaus Herrmann

Hi Maarten,

ZitatDo I need to clear the slides (i have 20 year old "Citroclear from NBS - no manual" or klorix) before colouring with Wacker  W 3 A Sim II ?
on the box of new slides you can often read: "Cleaned, ready for use" This may be true - or not :o The stuff you can buy in the internet is very often old and needs a cleaning.
I do it under warm water with a drop of dishwasher-liquid. Rinse and dry with a fresh kitchen towel.
Mit herzlichen Mikrogrüßen

Klaus

ich ziehe das freundschaftliche "Du" vor! ∞ λ ¼

Vorstellung: hier klicken

deBult

Klaus,

Danke, language problem here  ???

My question is :do I need to clear the chlorophyl in the cut plant slice (basil stem).

Thank you,

Maarten
Reading the German language is OK for me, writing is a different matter though: my apologies.

The correct number of scopes to own is N+1 (Where N is the number currently owned).

Bob

Hallo Maarten,
Du kannst die Schnitte in Clorix bleichen oder auch nicht, das Ergebnis ist dann jeweils etwas anders. Ich würde am Anfang versuchen, in so wenigen Schritten wir möglich zu einem fertigen, brauchbaren Präparat zu kommen. Später kannst Du dann zusätzliche Tricks ausprobieren.

Viele Grüße und viel Erfolg,

Bob

deBult

Ok  thanks for your guidance: I will skip the Klorix/chlorix/Citroclear.

Next weekend: colouring and permanent mounting.

Still have to master making pictures: so not yet able to show my results  ;)

Maarten

Bob

If you happen to have a smartphone: This is a quite competent micro camera for average subjects. You might have to adjust the exposure a bit +/- and you only get a small circular image with a black border. But when you cut out a rectangle or square you will see that the quality is decent, perhaps even really good.

Bob