Vitis vinifera: honing my picture skills

Begonnen von deBult, Januar 10, 2021, 11:01:59 VORMITTAG

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

deBult

Hello,

Received some slides from Dr. Jekyll (very thin cuts 8-16 um) done by Robin Wacker and colored and mounted by Dr. Jekyll in a slide exchange (thank you).

I just acquired a Canon 700D and the LED lighting van S. Hiller has arrived: so these slides looked like the ideal candidate for a test.

Olympus BH2-BTU with SPlanApo 4*  and Phase condenser (the latter not an ideal match for the Apo's).

No editing (yet) on the slide just size reduction and basic sharpen for the web.

Feed Back appreciated
Reading the German language is OK for me, writing is a different matter though: my apologies.

A few Olympus BH2 and CH2 stands with DIC and phase optics.
The correct number of scopes to own is N+1 (Where N is the number currently owned).

Bob

Hallo Maarten,
was ist es, was Du uns da zeigst?
Das Foto ist scharf, aber die Farben sehen aus, als ob sie in Wirklichkeit kräftiger wären. Ich hatte dazu kürzlich einen Test gemacht und mir war aufgefallen, dass die Farbwiedergabe bei Übersichtsobjektiven stärker von der Beleuchtung abhängt als die Bildschärfe: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=39570.15
Es kann sich also lohnen, mit der Beleuchtung herumzuexperimentieren. Gut sehen solche Übersichten auch aus, wenn man sie aus mehreren Bildern stitcht, z.B. mit Microsoft ICE.

Die dünnen Paraffinschnitte sehen auch gut aus, wenn man kleinere Details mit stärkeren Objektiven gezielt darstellt.

Bob

deBult

Thanks again for feedback Bob,

The slide is the start of a wine grape (Wheinbluete) just after fertilisation (Befruchtung).

Will give stitching multiple images a try.

The color is (nearly) identical to what I see through the eyepieces though.

Will inquire on the staining technique.

Best, Maarten

Reading the German language is OK for me, writing is a different matter though: my apologies.

The correct number of scopes to own is N+1 (Where N is the number currently owned).

Dr. Jekyll

Hi Maarten,

schön abgelichtet  :)
Das Präparat ist mit einer W3A-Simultanfärbung gefärbt. Die Farben sind deshalb etwas blaß, da der Schnitt sehr dünn ist und deshalb nicht so viel Farbe aufgenommen wird als bei dickeren Schnitten. Auch die Originale welche Robin Wacker selbst gefärbt hat (sequentiell)  sind so blaß  ;)
Beste Grüße
Harald

deBult

Well: much new areas to discover: did try my first Canon pano-stitch as suggested by Bob and ADi.

1) Lightroom classic did ignore some of my pano components when generation the overview (I took 36 shots: it only used about 22)

2)EOS utility tells me in the Live View Shot window the Histogram is OK (actually not even close "to the right") but in reality all pictures are 1.5 - stops overexposed
   So had to revert to manual exposure - this is always the better option when doing Panorama picture "life sized" anyway, so may be the right choice for "micro" as well.

3) the forum only accepts 1024K shots so had to reduce the Pano a LOT.

As always: really appreciate feed back as I'm practicing my photo skills.

Best, Maarten

deBult

Zitat von: Adalbert in Januar 10, 2021, 17:10:16 NACHMITTAGS
BTW, my M6MII doesn't like ETTR :-(

I have been a Nikon user for 45 years (Auch showing my age). Have not been able to "tame" the shutter and mirror induced shake.
Switched to Olympus 4/3 (EPL1 and EPL7) for my first Micro camera 8 months' back: real improvement but no electronic first curtain shutter option here and struggling with flash.
So now giving Canon 700D a try, still awaiting my flash though (hope the combination flash and electronic first curtain will work).

Best, Maarten

othum

Dear Maarten,

When doing Panos, manual (and constant!) exposure is a "must".

While LR is ok for small Panos (3 or 4 pics), it gets less helpful with bigger Panos, especially as it is a black box without any control by yourself.. I highly recommend to use a dedicated Pano tool, I prefer PTGUI.

For presentation in this forum I also provide a link to the full resolution image. Using a presentation tool such as krpano makes that quite convenient.

Examples from myself can be found here in this section...

All the best, Oliver
Zeiss Axiovert S100 HF/Ph/DF, Auflicht-FL
Zeiss Axioskop 50 HF/Ph/Pol, Auflicht-HF/DF/Pol
Kamera: Pentax K-1

deBult

Zitat von: Adalbert in Januar 10, 2021, 17:28:38 NACHMITTAGS
Hi Maarten,
Does the 700D support flash with EFCS ?
Best,
ADi

According to the documentation it should ... but I hope to find out soon (awaiting for my flash to arrive from Micropol).

Bob

Hi Maarten,

my impression is that the colours in your stitch are a bit punchier. All together you can be very satisfied with your photo adaptation, sharp to the edges and no dark corners etc..

I think with the Canon 700D you are out of excuses now -was that a wise move?? ;D

Bob

deBult

@Othum: tnx for the guidance, will look into pano tools in the future. For now this was an experiment as per Bob's guidance on color intensity etc using higher enlargement / na objectives.

@Bob: I have cheated a bit on the color intensity: as I used Lightroom to stitch I also used the clarity and vibrance sliders (al little). So the result is a bit more "punch" by post processing. The change to an objective with a higher enlargement factor did nothing for the color intensity.
Both the original 4* and the 10* were Apo objectives and properly Kohlered.

Best, Maarten

Fahrenheit

Lieber Maarten,

sehr gut! Davon gerne mehr ;)

Herzliche Grüße
Jörg
Hier geht's zur Vorstellung: Klick !
Und hier zur Webseite des MKB: Klick !

Arbeitsmikroskop: Leica DMLS
Zum Mitnehmen: Leitz SM
Für draussen: Leitz HM

RainerTeubner

Hallo Maarten,

ich hab mir mal erlaubt, Dein Bild mit gimp etwas zu bearbeiten: Ich habe die Kontraste gespreizt und den Hintergrund auf "weiß" gesetzt, die Rottöne habe ich ein klein wenig angehoben. Es kann sein, daß der Hintegrund nun zu weiß wirkt, aber das ist eine Frage des perönlichen Geschmacks, wie alle Bildbearbeitung.

Viele Grüße

Rainer
Mikroskop: Carl Zeiss Standard Universal
Bildbearbeitung: Gimp, Helicon focus und picolay
Kamera: Canon EOS 5D II

deBult

Rainer, thank you.

From a PICTURE perspective your edit is an improvement.
The color contrast does no longer look like what I see through te eyepiece though, hmm have to think about this.

Any opinion on yes/no to enhance a picture like this, coloring, phase, darkfield etc. etc. are all enhancements, so why not photoshop.  Probably this topic has been discussed already. Links appreciated.

Best, Maarten.