Dunkirk Maryland Diatomit - der Sammelthread

Begonnen von anne, Februar 22, 2023, 13:46:14 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Michael K.

Hallo,

Hier eine Radiolarie, die ich finden hab können.

Gruss
Michael

Manfred Melcher

Hallo Siegfried,

ich bin ziemlich sicher, dass es ein Moré-Effekt ist. Schau mal die Flächen genau an. Da entstehen Zonen, die so real nicht vorkommen können. Mach mal eine Aufnahme mit einem schwächer vergrößernden Objektiv. Dann müsste der Unterschied zu sehen sein.

LG
Manfred

Siegfried

Hallo Manfred
Auch bei geringerer Vergrößerung.
Nun will ich aber mit dieser Diatomee erst mal beenden, vielleicht meldet sich doch noch ein Experte/in.
Es gibt noch viel zu entdecken. :)
   Gruß von Siegfried

Beatsy

Hello Siegried,

That does look like exactly like moire effect as others have said.

Because it didn't fade away at lower magnification, I wonder if you are photographing a complete valve instead of a single frustule. That is, two frustules joined together as they are in life and you are viewing one on top of the other. That can cause a moire effect at any magnification, like looking at two pieces of fine mesh, one on top of the other.

Racking focus through the form (from top to bottom) with the condenser nearly wide open will confirm it. There will be two separate planes where the details are in focus. If only one plane can be brought into focus, then it's not that.
Knowledge is cheap. Experience is not.

Rene

Hallo Siegfried,

Ich glaube, es ist ein echtes Muster: Der Rand der Kieselschale ist abgefallen, ich denke, der mittlere Teil der Schale wurde beim Trocknen flach auf das Deckglas gedrückt.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
René

Siegfried

Hi Steve and Rene'
Thank you for the good answers. I haven't had such a case yet, but I'm still learning at my age.
We'll see what surprises this sample brings. I'll stay on the ball.
Greetings from Siegfried

anne

Hallo Siegfried,
ich habe schon gesucht wie verrückt, es kommt mir unglaublich bekannt vor...... Der Effekt ist auch schon unter dem Stereomikroskop zu sehen. Also ich sehe das Muster auch, halte es aber für einen Effekt durch die Anordnung der Poren.
Nur als Anmerkung.
lg
anne

anne

Hallo zusammen,
inzwischen bin ich mit der Reinigung fertig. Ich habe nur 3 Gefrierzyklen gemacht und im Anschluss gekocht in Wasserstoffperoxid mit etwas Natriumcarbonat.
Ich habe nun 2 Fraktionen: >20µm- <125µm und >125 µm.
Hier ein schnelles Bild, jeweils mit dem 20er Objektiv beider Fraktionen.

Hello all,
in the meantime I have finished the cleaning. I did only 3 freeze cycles and boiled in hydrogen peroxide with some sodium carbonate afterwards.
I now have 2 fractions: >20µm- <125µm and >125 µm.
Here is a quick picture, each with the 20 objective of both fractions.

lg
anne

Michael K.

Hallo,

Hier ein Foto einer ;ich denke mal; Goniothecium. Im Hellfeld sind die Schalenwände kaum aus zumachen, man sieht nur den mittleren Teil. Erst wenn man die Aperturblende  zuzieht erscheinen
die Wände.  Aufgestellt sieht es augenförmig aus. Ich habe es hier; im trockenem Zustand; schräg gestellt und mit dem 40er gestackt. 

Gruss
Michael

Hello,

Here is a photo of one; I think; goniothecia. In brightfield, the walls of the shell can hardly be made out; only the middle part can be seen. Only when you close the aperture diaphragm appear
the walls. When erected, it looks eye-shaped. I have it here; when dry; placed at an angle and stacked with the 40.

Greeting
Michael

Manfred Melcher

Hallo Michael,

das ist Dir prima gelungen. Da ist schon im Hellfeld wenig zu sehen.

LG
Manfred

Beatsy

Hi Anne,

nice clean forms there.

Could you confirm that you used sodium carbonate, not sodium bi-carbonate. If so, how much and for how long? It looks a great substitute for NaOH, and a perhaps a bit less "fierce". Thanks

anne

Dear Steve,
yes it works good around pH 8-9.
Na2CO3 ist the correct chemical form.
Just a few grains and checking the pH. Boiling for a few hours, sieving and boiling again for a few hours.
To much could be dangerous, the pH could increase to more than 10!
(had this experience....)
best
anne

Beatsy

Thanks Anne. I've ordered some. Being able to boil for hours and check pH throughout will be far less stressful than boiling for seconds with NaOH while "hoping". I've ruined a couple of samples with NaOH before. I'm so nervous of that now, I tend to dilute the NaOH too much and have to repeat the process many times (with a full rinse between each one to get rid of neutralising HCl). That takes many hours more, and can still go wrong. Not sure why I never heard of using sodium carbonate before, but I'm very glad to have discovered it. Thanks again for the info.

bill2penn

I think it's easier to use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and heating to boiling for a couple hours. Heating converts some of the bicarbonate to carbonate.
Bill

Rene

Hi Bill

'Washing' Soda (Na-carbonate) is easier to find, at least in the Netherlands. The pH of 8-9 mentioned by Anne however is only very lightly alkaline, is that enough? Are there guidelines?

For the removal of clays and such I've come across the use of 1% soda, which sounds like a lot. It surely brings the pH >10 if my calculation is correct.

Best wishes, René