Dunkirk Maryland Diatomit - der Sammelthread

Begonnen von anne, Februar 22, 2023, 13:46:14 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

bill2penn

Patience is what is needed for many samples! Long boils with very mild base. Then many, many washes with distilled water. Sometimes no clay will suspend with normal "tap" water, but using distilled water will suspend the clay.

My "standard" procedure uses a discontinued product called Sparkleen 1 which is a laboratory glassware cleaner composed of a polymer of alkylated phenol and sodium carbonate. It's just a fancy soap with mild base. The phenol groups are deprotonated by the sodium carbonate and act as the base of pH about 9. Even with this product I sometimes have to treat an Oamaru sample for 6 or 8 times (at least an hour boil each!) to get a clean sample.

I too used to do the "shock" treatment with sodium hydroxide on samples. However after some of my samples "disappeared" (DISSOLVED!!) I stopped using it.

Best to all
Bill

beamish

Hi René,

Baking Soda (E500) you will easily find in any Asia shop in the Netherlands. Most comon is the American brand Arm&Hammer in 227 and 454g packages.

Regards
Martin
Zeiss RA mit Trinotubus 0/100
No-Name China-Stereomikroskop mit Trinotubus
beide mit Canon EOS 500D

Rene

Just wondering, if you have a lot of agglutinated mineral stuff in your sample, does boiling in soda break that down?
Just an example, not Maryland diatomite and also not containing much of it, but you know what I mean.

Thanks, René

bill2penn

Hi Rene,
YES! that's the stuff that gets broken apart into small grains by boiling with the sodium BIcarbonate/soap for several hours.
Bill

anne

Hi Rene,
the problem is that I use it according to my gut feeling...., so it is difficult to give an indication.
I have only lost one sample so far due to sodium carbonate and that was part of the marine sample from the Netherlands that you know. This simply disappeared at a high pH value. I think the pH was still greater than 10.
Hence my specification of pH 8-9 to avoid major disasters.
For a sample like yours in the picture, you still have to use the pyrophsophate, it crushes/disperses the particles that you have marked with an arrow and you can then sieve them off or separate them via sediment.

lg
anne

bill2penn

Anne and Rene and all,

Sodium pyrophosphate is also a mild base. 1% solutions will have pH of around 10.

Bill

anne

Dear Bill,
thank you for sharing all your knowledge!
We use the pyrophosphat only in micro quantities as dispersants, I guess lower than 0,01%, 3 or 4 crystalls for around 100-200ml.
best anne

Rene

Hi Bill, I've tried boiling in 1% bicarbonate in 15% H2O2 for 10 min, but that didn't work. More boiling time needed, apparently.

Would pyrophospate be preferable over bicarbonate? And would there be an advantage for addition of EDTA? That's also generally used under alkaline conditions

Thanks for the tips,
René

bill2penn

Hi Rene,
I have never used sodium pyrophosphate so I defer to Anne and others who have.

But I typically will boil for an hour or more with sodium bicarbonate. Sometimes I do this several times.

Bill

Siegfried

Hallo Anne, Steve, Bill, Martin und Rene'
Ich habe euere Diskussion zur Aufbereitung sehr aufmerksam verfolgt, und viel daraus gelernt. Danke.
Aber jetzt zu Anne.
Es ist mir noch nie passiert, daß ich einen Beitrag von dir übersehen habe, aber gestern 20:43 schon. Anscheinend war ich nach deinem Folgebeitrag mit den herrlichen Übersichtsbildern deiner gereinigten Probe, geblendet. Ja Vanox und Können und Erfahrung bringen Solches hervor. 8)
Also vielen Dank für deine Recherche zu dieser wundersamen Diatomee. Ich bin mir auch sicher, daß ich diese Ansicht auch schon irgendwo gesehen habe, weiss aber auch nicht mehr wo.
Ich habe beim Durchsuchen meiner 4 Streupräparate noch ein Bruchstück gefunden, aber das war es. So nun will ich aber weiter mit dieser Probe arbeiten, es gibt viel zu entdecken.
   Gruß von Siegfried

Hello Anne, Steve, Bill, Martin and Rene'.
I have followed your discussion on processing very closely and have learned a lot from it. Thank you.
But now to Anne.
It has never happened to me that I missed a post by Anne, but yesterday 20:43 I did. Apparently I was dazzled after your follow-up post with the wonderful overview pictures of your cleaned sample. Yes Vanox and skill and experience do produce such things.  8)
So thank you for your research on this wondrous diatom. I am also sure that I have seen this view somewhere, but I can't remember where.
I found a fragment while searching through my 4 scattered specimens, but that was it. But now I want to continue working with the cleaned diatomite, there is a lot to discover.
   Greetings from Siegfried

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Dr. Jekyll

Mit folgender Methode habe ich gut gereinigtes Material bekommen:
Diatomit: 2 erbsengroße Stücke
5ml 30% Wasserstoffperoxyd
3 Tropfen 10% Natriumcarbonat (Soda)
2h bei 80 Grad Celsius im Wasserbad
dann mit H2O. dem.  über 25µm Sieb 3-4x gewaschen.
Im Rohmaterial befinden sich sehr viele kleine "Nadeln". Mit öfterem Sieben bekommt man diese natürlich noch besser weg. Sie führen dazu dass die Probe zum verklumpen neigt. Je weniger davon in der Probe sind, desto schöner werden die Streupräparate. Beim Auslesen für Legepräparate stören die Nadeln nicht so sehr. Sie fallen leicht ab, wenn die Diatomee auf Glas (Objektträger) kurz hin und her geschoben oder kurz aufgeklopft wird.
Beste Grüße
Harald

Siegfried

Hallo Harald
Danke für das Vorstellen deiner Methode zum Aufbereiten des Diatomit.
Hier noch ein 3D Bild meines Bruchstückes aus vorherigem Beitrag.
Dann soll es aber genug sein.
Bitte Rot-Cyanbrille verwenden. Mit Picolay erstellt.
  Gruß von Siegfried

Hello Harald
Thanks for sharing your method for preparing the diatomite.
Here is a 3D image of my fragment from the previous post.
But that should be enough.
Please use red-cyan glasses. Created with Picolay.
  Greetings from Siegfried

Michael K.

Hallo Siegfried,

Vielen Dank für das Einstellen der Bilder.  Ich finde das der 3D Effekt beim invertiertem Bild stärker ist, somit mir besser gefällt.

@ All:
Ich habe es ohne Gefrierzyklus oder ähnliches gereinigt. Ich habe etwas Material in ein 25 ml Becherglas gegeben. Darauf 12%iges Wasserstoffperoxid ( Trophäenbleiche )
hinzu ein paar Tropfen "Eau de Javell" hinzu gefügt. Das Becherglas habe ich ein paar Stunden bei ca 80 Grad auf der Heizplatte ziehen lassen. Durch die Bläschen wird das Material aufgebrochen.
Nach dem keine Bläschen mehr zu sehen waren habe ich den Überstand abgegossen und wiederrum etwas Wasserstoffperoxid hinein gegeben und diesmal etwas Backpulver, damit liessen
sich letzte Anhaftungen lösen.  Da bei mir aber Kristalle zu sehen waren habe ich es danach noch mit Salzsäure behandelt. Danach spülen, sieben usw.

Gruss
Michael

Michael K.

Hallo zusammen,

Ich habe es nun auch mal probiert ein 3D Bild mit -piccolay- zu erstellen.  Ich denke es ist mir einigermassen gelungen.

Gruss
Michael

Michael K.

Hallo zusammen,

Bezüglich der Fragestellung von Siegfried, ob diese Diatomee ein Moire-Effekt aufweist, habe ich mir mal die selbe, aber schadhafte heraus gesucht.
An den Defekten kann man gut die Schichten erkennen. Die Diatomee selbst ist sehr dünn besteht dennoch aus 2 Schichten. Die ist unterm Stereomikroskop fast durchsichtig und schimmert
bläulich.  Ich denke Siegfried kann das bestätigen, wenn es die gleiche war.
Was den Moire-Effekt angeht würde ich dies daher mit -ja- beantworten.

Ich lasse mich aber gerne berichtigen, wenn ich falsch liegen sollte.

Gruss
Michael