Hauptmenü

Leitz Diavert

Begonnen von Rene, Januar 04, 2011, 18:05:24 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Rene

Dear all,

I've restored a nice old old Leitz Diavert:

Can anyone tell me why there are a series of RED and YELLOW markings on the illumination column??

Same for the indicators for the stage height. Normal is the NL marking against the yellow arrow, that brings the focal plane of 45mm objectives roughly at the stage surface. But what's the red arrow for? Is there a connection to the red and yellow markings on the illuminator?

Thanks, Rene

(even though I prefer to write in English, replies in Deutsch are very welcome)

ortholux

hello rene,

the markings on the column, which holds the lamp, (right scale in your second image) indicate the position of that column. if you are using the normal 62mm condensor (which is not shown in your pictures), a series 600 with normal working distance (the one you are using) or longer (4mm) working distance you have to adjust the position to the upper indicator. for using a 11mm working distance condensor the second one and so on.

the markings on the table have the following meaning
L: objectives with long working distance (they are also marked with an "L", e.g. L 32/0.40)
NL: normal working distance
UO: ultropak
A: (Auflicht) incident light with opak illuminator

for using the fluorescence unit according to ploem a distance cube to raise the stage is necessary, because of its huge housing. in that case the red indicators are used, otherwise (like shown in the pictures) the yellow ones.

have fun with that microscope. if there are any questions, please feel free to contact me.

wolfgang

Rene

Ha, thanks Wolfgang. But the whole series in yellow (N/L11/L20) is repeated in red lettering at an elevated position. That looks like the focal point is lifted about 4.5cm! Maybe for some special stage? At least the normal stage cannot be lowered much. That brings me to another point: not even 37mm objectives can be used as a standard (!) on this scope, the stage cannot be lowered sufficiently without unscrewing some stopper screw. Kinda strange for a 170mm Leitz scope.

Another point, the objective slider is marked 1.25x. I would prefer a 1.0 times really. There seems to be a reduction lens mounted in it. What happens if I remove that?

Thanks, Rene

ortholux

last chapter:

"for using the fluorescence unit according to ploem a distance cube to raise the stage is necessary, because of its huge housing. in that case the red indicators are used, otherwise (like shown in the pictures) the yellow ones."

ortholux

rene,

there is a 1x available. the delay lens in the revolver adjusts the actual mechanical tube length to 170 (160)mm. if you removed it, the focus will be shifted .
wolfgang

ortholux

good morning rene,

sorry, i did not the see the question for 37 mm lenses.
when the diavert appeared, 37 mm leses were not longer offered. obviously therefore the diavert is not designated to be used with these lenses.

regards
wolfgang

Rene

Good morning too Wolfgang,

I've got only an old manual for the Diavert, the red/yellow distinction isn't mentioned, nor the Ploemopak. I've seen the Ploemopak attached to the Diavert, indeed it needs adjusting the stage. Nevertheless, the same stage is used, and the distance from condenser to slide should remain the same, so I still do not see what the yellow/red difference is for. The only thing that I can think of is the use of different (auxiliary) Korrektion lenses in the condenser, akin to the Zeiss discussion not so long ago. At the moment I do use the recommended K3 lens.

Concerning the use of 37mm vs. 45mm objectives, there is a stopper screw that can be removed and the stage can be lowered if necessary.

Hopefully I'll be able to find another objective slider with 1.0x instead of the 1.25x. Do you know by any chance why this 1.25x factor was such a normal choice, generally the default option. Is there an obvious reason for this? Tubelength extension ok, but there is already a reduction lens in it, an extra correction shoud have been no problem.

Best wishes, Rene

ortholux

hello rene,

to be safe, i tried out, what i wrote.

here you see the normal setup with L-objectives and the "advanced" with ploemopak.
the indicators on the column are ok. the condensor has a L11 top lens. yellow for normal, red for "advanced".
but the indicators on the stand do not fit to the lenses i used. for normal setup it indicates NL, which is right for non L lenses. but the L lenses of course have the same adjustment length like non-L lenses.

using the ploemopak the (red) indicator is somewhere between A and UO. whereas the yellow one fits more or less.  ???

regarding the 1x and 1,25x issue, i somewhere read something about that, i will give you an aswer as soon as i have one.

cheers
wolfgang

Rene

wow, nice setup you have, Wolfgang! That's DIC, right? Is that for normal slides only, or also usable for LD condenser tops (L4, L11, L20?)

It's clear now, the stage is different, and with that the positioning of the illuminator.

Thanks for showing!

Rene

ortholux

yes that's dic. with a L20 and a L 32 objective. and a phase 1 annular. this is designated to be used with an L11 condensor top.

and yes, that's a very nice equipment. i love inverted microscopes, because there is no need for a longsome preparation of the sample.

cheers
wolfgang