PDF of Images of Forms from Dosados Canyon Marca Shale

Begonnen von bill2penn, September 11, 2026, 11:44:47 VORMITTAG

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

bill2penn

Päule Heck, Anne Gleich and myself have finally finished a first edition PDF of images derived from Dosados Canyon Marca shale. You can read about the adventure here:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=49063.0

I think there are probably still a few mistakes in the current PDF and there are undoubtably still more forms that we have yet to find and image, so I am leaving open the possibility of generating a second edition with corrections and further additions sometime in the future.

The current Dosados Canyon PDF is large, 166 pages and over 100MB in size. But I was not happy with the results of trying to compress it further. Speaking for myself, I am really delighted at how well the finished PDF came out, and I thank Päule for being willing to take on this huge task. It's a beautiful piece of work.

You may download the PDF from my Google Drive here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIu_BIDbSNUlUDIFp4izIaOZHGunXYML/view?usp=drive_link

Greetings to all,
Bill

RainerTeubner

Hello,

 thank you very much for this excellent teamwork!

Kind regards

Rainer


Mikroskop: Carl Zeiss Standard Universal
Bildbearbeitung: Gimp, Helicon focus und picolay
Kamera: Canon EOS 5D II

Daniel Scheibenstock

Hi Bill,

i scrolled fast trough and found so many intressting things, this will give me a good time to read and view thanks :)
regards Daniel
Leica DMRB HC (DL, Pol, DIC, PH)
Motic BA310 LED (DL: PH; DF;POL, AL: POL)
Zeiss Universal (DL: Fluo; POL AL: Fluo,POL. DIC)
Zeiss IM35 (DL; PH; Fluo;POL)
Olympus SZX12
Bresser Stereolupe

Vorstellung: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=48126.0

Peter T.

Hi Bill, Päule and Anne,

just WOW.
This is by far the most beautiful and excellent work about diatoms I have ever seen. Really a milestone in diatom literature!

Many thanks to you three for the opportunity to download it.

Best

Peter

Spectrum

#4
Hello,
What a precious firework of Art Forms in Nature.
Stunning!
Bravo!
The teamwork and "synergy-effect" in this forum is simply mindblowing!
Thank you all for this masterpiece.
And Bernd's SEM pictures... :o
Best Holger
Holger
Duzen und meine Bilder (auch ungefragt)  bearbeiten, mit eigenen Aufnahmen ergänzen und weitergeben erwünscht!

Jürgen Boschert

Many thanks to the diatomatic trident for this outstanding opus! Just really marvelous.
Beste Grüße !

JB

Rene


Michael K.

This is a lovely compilation of the work that involved contributions from around the world. Anyone who was involved knows just how much work went into processing the samples. Perhaps it would be good to add a credit for each image indicating who produced it.
Then again, there might be legal reasons why that isn't possible—I'm not familiar with the regulations there.
However, I do miss seeing an SEM image (even a color one) of *Kittonia hannae* showing the girdle band.

If there are any further changes, please let me know.
Otherwise, I'm going to have a book printed from this. I still need to design the cover, though.


Regards,
Michael

Goldfuss

YouTube channel: microBizkaia

anne

I am delighted that we have now completed a version of the book that is ready to be presented to the public. Every member of this international group has made a significant and substantial contribution, regardless of the political turmoil in the world. Hundreds of images were submitted by all participants. Päule then painstakingly pieced together the basic framework of the book from these. This was followed by adjustments, additions and, above all, proofreading by Jakub Witkowski, an outstanding scholar in this field. Not all images could be included; on the one hand, this would have gone beyond the scope of the project, and on the other, there were, fortunately, some new discoveries and as yet unpublished findings. In order to be able to use these in a scholarly publication, they had to remain unpublished.  Finally, it should be noted that this book would not have been possible without Bill Dailey. His commitment to locating the site, collecting the samples and, above all, involving this group in the project is unique. "Citizen science" was made possible by him.

Peter T.

Hi Anne,

do you already know where it will be published?


Best

Peter

bill2penn

Here is a new one for me. Auladodiscus cretacea Hanna, 1927. Stacked image using Leitz NPL Fluotar ICT 40X/0.70.
There was no AI involved......

Bill