Hauptmenü

diatoms, diatoms

Begonnen von Rene, Mai 10, 2017, 19:34:06 NACHMITTAGS

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Rene

Got a nice fresh sample in from Antwerpen harbour. Who wants to take a guess? There's a free diatom slide waiting for the first who gets it right!

Best wishes, René

10x/0.4

20x/0.7

Bob

Hallo Rene,

ich würde sagen Stictodiscus.

Richtig?

Viele Grüße,

Bob

Rene

TSchöll

Hallo Rene,
könnte es Stephanodiscus astraea sein?
Gruß
Till

Rene

Auch nicht Till...
Tip: forget the Kiefern pollen!

Here's another crop with the essential details:

20x/0.7

Best wishes, René

martin_hu

Hi Rene

Aulacodiscus .....kittonii ....ev. crux

kind Regards

Martin

Rene

It's the right environment, Martin.

Getting closer!

TSchöll

Hallo Rene, noch ein Versuch. Last try. Is it Thalassiosira punctigera?

Rene

Leider auch nicht Till, T. punctigera is much finer areolated, with a completely flat valvar surface. Also, the Prozessen on this diatom are different and very unusual!

Best wishes, René

ruhop

Hallo, Rene.

Maybe the genus Coscinodiscus?

Greetings

Holger

Rene

anne

Hi René,

Coscinodiscus radiatus oder Coscinodiscus granii?

lg
anne

Päule Heck

Hi Rene,
ich denke, Anne liegt richtig mit Coscinodiscus radiatus.
LG
Päule

martin_hu

Coscinodiscus jonesianus var. commutatus ;)

Martin

Rene

And we have a winner! Coscinodiscus jonesianus var. commutatus, http://bibdigital.rjb.csic.es/ing/Libro.php?Libro=1006&Pagina=452, nowadays renamed Coscinodiscopsis commutata,  due to the two strange processes on the edge of the valve.

20x/0.7, cleaned diatoms

I guess Martin has earned himself a diatom slide from this massive bloom in the brackish harbour of Antwerp.

Now, in pre-Hustedt era it was known as a variety of C. radiatus , so  Anne and Paule could have been quoting from even older books. But without the mentioning of the variety Jonesianus, I cannot agree with it. The true C. radiatus is flat as a pancake (no stacking necessary, even with oil!) and, when alive, thin as a coin. That's a feature seldom seen by diatomists, with the old adagium: acid first, look later  ;D. Coscinodiscus granii is more like it, but has in girdle view a very characteristic asymmetric shape. And of course, they both lack the two very typical processes, of which the function is still unknown!

Martin, if you send me a PN, I'l send you your slide. Anybody else interested, I have slides to trade/exchange!

Best wishes, René