Hauptmenü

Coverslip thickness gauge

Begonnen von Beatsy, März 13, 2023, 10:04:39 VORMITTAG

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Beatsy

Good morning all.

For those who need coverslips of precise thickness (usually 0.17mm) here's a simple but ingenious thickness gauge you can make at home. It's much faster than using a micrometer for measurement.

I accidentally trod on mine this morning  :(  and need to make another, which reminded me of this article.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/_/KWVhDQAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA11

I apologise if this has been posted before but searching the forum is difficult for me. Even using Google translate, I'm not sure I get the right German words to search with.
Knowledge is cheap. Experience is not.

rlu

Hi Beatsy,
what exactly do you mean?
Can you copy the page and the relevant content here?
And describe what is so genious about it in English that's fine.
It's looks for me, it is a book or a paywall.
Regards Rudolf

Beatsy

That's strange, the link works for everyone else I've sent it to. Maybe it's location dependent. Sorry about that.

Here's a screenshot of the main diagram - pretty obvious how it works from that.

reblaus

Thanks for the screenshot - the link doesn't work for my either!

Rene

The link works from the Netherlands. It doesn't add much to the image Steve posted.

You might want to search on the web for Collected Works of Shinya Inoue: Microscopes, Living Cells, and Dynamic Molecules (142MB)
It's a goldmine for information. Too bad if it is blocked in Deutschland. Z-library still has it, but hey, FBI is watching you ;-)

Best wishes, René

momotaro

Dear All,

Shinya Inoue, Coverslip Thickness Gauge.

LG Helmut
,,Die Kunst ist lang, das Leben kurz, das Urteil schwierig, die Gelegenheit flüchtig." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre (1786–1830)

bill2penn

Do you think this would work for 18mm circular cover glass?

Bill

momotaro

Dear All,

The INOUÉ GAUGE for COVER-SLIP THICKNESS on ResearchGate:

"The Inoué gauge allows to determine the thickness of a microscope coverslip in the range from
0.12 mm to 0.22 mm with a precision of 0.01 mm."

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Photograph-of-cover-slip-gauge_fig4_353807382

LG Helmut

,,Die Kunst ist lang, das Leben kurz, das Urteil schwierig, die Gelegenheit flüchtig." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Wilhelm Meister's Lehrjahre (1786–1830)

Beatsy

Zitat von: bill2penn in März 13, 2023, 12:40:43 NACHMITTAGS
Do you think this would work for 18mm circular cover glass?

Bill
Yes it will, Bill. I used mine for 18mm and lately 13mm diameter. Mine was the same shape and style as the one pictured, but just using bits of razor blades glued to acrylic with shims underneath and an extra 0.2mm shim under the lower blade. Only set for 0.17mm because that's all I use. Sadly, stomping on it broke the most important bit of acrylic (behind the razor blades) so it will never be accurate again. Easy to make new though.

beamish

I have this 19th century coverslip gauge, and it still works perfectly after 150 years!

Regards
Martin
Zeiss RA mit Trinotubus 0/100
No-Name China-Stereomikroskop mit Trinotubus
beide mit Canon EOS 500D

Jürgen Boschert

Hallo zusammen,

also irgendwie bin ich mir nicht sicher, dass die gezeigten Einrichtungen schneller sein sollen als das kleine, von Altmeister Henkel in der Mirkofibel (s. Link rechts oben auf der Seite des Mikroforums) auf S. 178 empfohlene kleine Gerätchen.
Beste Grüße !

JB

momotaro

Dear Jürgen (JB),

Käfer J15, this little gadget has a  large price tag attached to it:  at least 100€
Digitales Foliendickenmessgerät - FD 1000/30-3 - mit Abhebevorrichtung 1085 €

I would rather buy Marienfeld Precision cover glasses thickness No. 1.5H (tol. ± 5 μm)

https://www.marienfeld-superior.com/precision-cover-glasses-thickness-no-1-5h-tol-5-m.html

LG Helmut

Jürgen Boschert

Hallo Helmut,

natürlich sind die Kaefer-Geraetchen eine feine Sache, ähnliche Dickenmesstaster gibt's aber auch dtl. günstiger von anderen Herstellern oder gebraucht. Muss man halt den Markt ein wenig durchforsten. Auf der anderen Seite: Was kosten denn unsere anderen Utensilien oft, und das ist kein Einmalartikel, sondern "was fürs Leben ".
Beste Grüße !

JB

Lupus

Hallo,

ein billiges Messmikrometer für 20.- € reicht auch.

Hubert

momotaro

Dear Hubert und Jürgen,

also ich fand den thread sehr interessant und amüsant, mal was anderes.

ein Mikrometer aus dem 19. Jahrhundert reicht auch und es ist offensichtlich kein Einmalartikel  sondern "was fürs Leben".

Apropos, "was fürs Leben", ich bin 72: "in the long run we are all dead".

LG Helmut